At Liberty  

Posted by Donna

Photo credit: Jean-Francois Leblanc

This week I was lucky enough to see Cavalia for the first time. I think my expectations were a little bit too high, as it wasn't the experience of a lifetime that I wanted, the continuity in the second half was a problem and a couple of times there were no horses on stage at all during long trapeze numbers. Having said that, I would still recommend it to horse people and non-horse people alike, just to see the "at liberty" work. We all know how difficult it is to gain the trust of a horse and to successfully pass on our wishes using all the aids at our disposal. This is Sylvia Zerbini and part of her group of 9 Arabians. She was able to control them with just her voice and a very small whip, used for directionality only. At one point she had 4 of them cantering in a circle clockwise and the other 4 cantering in a circle counter-clockwise inside the other circle. At the beginning and end of the show I saw, two six-month old colts wandered into the performance space by themselves and playfully and gently frolic with each other and the horse toys strewn about the stage, seemingly without noticing the lights, the music or the hundreds of people watching them. Another piece showcases a single dancer and a white Andalusian playing in and around a shallow pool of water -- they might as well have been a wood nymph and a unicorn -- truly magical. This amazing work is worth the (hefty) price of admission.

The recent bad weather has made riding Missy on the weekends a hit-and-miss proposition, but at least she is being worked during the week. Every time I get the chance to ride her I am cantering, so that's a step in the right direction. She is so uneven and crooked and falls out of it easily, but at least we're doing it. My lessons during the week have made this possible, I am so grateful for my trainer and for the wonderful group of women I share her with. We all went to see Cavalia together then the next night had some fun doing poses while we cantered around in a circle together.

How did it get to be less than 60 days until I leave for South Africa?  So much to do.  I'm just trying to get through each work day one at a time and avoid completely freaking out about my decisions.

This entry was posted on December 5, 2010 at Sunday, December 05, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

5 comments

It sounds like it was an interesting show. I think it's already been in our area but maybe it will come back and I'll get a chance to see it.

I can't believe you are going to SA for the whole month of Feb. That will be amazing.

December 5, 2010 at 8:02 PM

The horses sound amazing and so well trained. I'd love to see the show sometime. Maybe they will be around here someday.

SA, wow, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time there. Lots of packing to do yet I'll bet, but you'll get it done.

December 6, 2010 at 5:33 AM

I've never heard of this show. It sounds really interesting. I'll have to do some google research about it.

As for your decisions, I've heard it said that if a choice you've made scares you to death, you're on the right track.

Looking forward to hearing all about your adventure.

December 6, 2010 at 8:08 AM

Took Mom & Z to Cavalia as an early-Mother's Day gift for both of us when they were in Big D a couple of yrs ago...
Got busted for taking a single flash photo of Mom & Z in their seats - I wouldn't have violated their "No photography" rule, I just wanted a souvenir!
Then I went home & talked to Quig about this liberty work. He gave me a slobbery kiss.

December 6, 2010 at 8:13 AM

That was my thought seeing Cavalia, exactly! I went, preparing to be blown away... but I wasn't. I think because it's no longer 'new' - we've all seen pieces of amazing at-liberty work, what looks like magic, with many natural horsemanship trainers by now.
However, also like you, I agree parts of the show were amazing and delightful and worth seeing at least once.
- The Equestrian Vagabond

December 11, 2010 at 8:02 AM

Post a Comment