Second Opinion  

Posted by Donna

My aunt came to visit me this weekend for the first time. We visited her several years ago when she had a small ranch in Reno, breeding, raising and showing Arabians. I took the opportunity to have her look at Missy and give me her opinions. I was a bit nervous, having a professional horsewoman watch me tack her up, lounge and finally ride her, but of course she is also my aunt and was very kind and chose her words carefully. She watched me walk, sit the trot and post, then asked me to trot her in a tight circle in both directions. After watching for about 10 minutes she had me jump off and ran her hands over her hind legs. "She has a problem in her lower back," she said. "I can't tell where the problem is exactly, but it's the left side, that's why she sometimes doesn't pick up the right lead on that side, why she kicks out on the lounge line and why she gets abcesses in this hoof." She told me she was in pain, sometimes more than others. I was stunned.

Then she started watching my trainer, who was riding a young warmblood in the arena next to us. She said that although she was riding the mare fairly well, she wasn't training the horse to do anything, and her hands were way too busy for how well the horse was going.

Now I am questioning everything. I really don't want to ride a horse that is in pain, either from an injury or a conformational issue. Is there a way that a vet could actually diagnose a back problem, with x-ray or MRI or some other test? I'm never going to convince these people that Missy should be retired, but if I can get another opinion from an unimpeachable source maybe they will do the right thing.

The next morning I sobbed and sobbed as I thought about both losing this mare and keeping her, knowing that I may be causing her pain. I drove myself down to the barn and tearfully spoke to my trainer, telling her I could no longer afford to pay for all of Miss's expenses, and that I wanted to do the best thing for both me and her but I didn't know how to do that. Willow said she would talk to the property owner and see what we could work out, that maybe we could find someone who could do a half-lease, so she could get ridden during the week and I would still have the weekends, and the expenses would be less. OK, that's a great idea, except...the contract says I can't lease, sell or give her away to anyone else. I guess if it's their idea it's OK. I know, I know, that contract isn't worth the ink on the paper, I agree with you. This is just the first step in getting out of this, but based on my extreme emotional distress, I'm just not ready to completely walk away.

My aunt also recommended that I take some beginner dressage lessons, just for the technique and the grounding it offers, get my confidence back and get away from the hunter/jumper routine for a while. I checked out a barn on the way home from work today but it was way too far from everything and wasn't that great, it looked way better than it really was on their website (typical). At my group lesson tomorrow I will ask my other trainer if they have dressage lessons there. I can't afford to add another lesson until I figure something out with Missy, but I want to at least have an idea where I'm going when I can do it.

This entry was posted on September 7, 2010 at Tuesday, September 07, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

8 comments

Sounds like Missy needs to be evaluated by a sports-medicine vet...
Of course you can Google as well as I can (maybe better since I dunno your exact location)

http://www.circleoakequine.com/services_sports-med.html

http://equinesportsmedicineandsurgery.com/page1

But the only one I can vouch for personally is my old bud/colleague Jamie Kerr:

http://www.sonomaequestriancenter.com/html/horsecare.html

This reminds me to schedule another dressage lesson for myself - sorry B-boy!

September 8, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Wow, I just had no idea so much was involved in taking care of a horse, not to mention dressage and riding. It's good that your aunt made you aware of the horse's condition and I really hope you can find a solution; it all seems very fraught with stress and that can't be good for either you or your horse.

On the plus side, your pictures are looking good and it's nice to see you combining your love of horses and your love of photography. Sending you a big hug and wishing you a wonderful weekend ahead (with some new possibilities and solutions). Miss you! xoxox

September 9, 2010 at 7:54 AM

Sorry to hear about Missy's back pain. I hope it can be diagnosed and that there is a fix. She has a kind face.

September 9, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Your aunt sounds like a woman who knows her horses AND cares about them. There are chiropractors who work on horses in my area. You may want to look into that.

September 11, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Jamie Kerr is Hudson's soundness vet. He's the vet responsible for Hudson being completely sound at what is considered geriatric for a roping horse. It's a small world. :)

A good hands-on soundness check can tell an experienced vet a lot about where the issue(s) may be, and what options to explore. Some pain issues are completely fixable with good care.

Good doesn't necessarily equal expensive, (though it can). It may be as simple as helping her stretch certain muscles daily, and adding specific exercises to strengthen others.

If it's unlikely the changes are structural (arthritic or repetitive strain), it's might be worth it to have a good chiropractor out after the vet.

You can try this: if her lower back is painful on the left side, rub out her right shoulder (try to get under the shoulder blade too), neck (R) and poll (R) as throughly as you can, hand walk briskly for 15 minutes, and get on, see if it makes a difference in her muscle freedom. If she moves noticeably freer, you'll know you've at least diminished whatever pain she is having...

I wish you both the best!

September 12, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Unfortunately, my guess is it won't matter who says that Missy has a problem. Like most people, these folks seem to hear what they want to hear.

I'm glad your aunt was able to give you some information about Missy AND the trainer there. Listen to what she's telling you in that short statement. It's an important thing. If you ever want to reach you horse goals you will need to be able to see those things yourself so take what she said and study what you see. You'll get there.

September 19, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Forgot to say, I think you've been holding out on me. I had no clue you had an aunt raising Arabians. How could that be?? LOL

September 19, 2010 at 5:30 PM
Anonymous  

There are a lot of very qualified Equine massage artists and Chiropractors. If your choice is to keep Missy in your life, a back issue is not a final blow to her career as a riding horse.

*hugs*

If you decide that you just need to move on, that is ok too. Letting go of an ill-fitting horse relationship is just like letting go of ANY relationship. It is painful and hard, but sometimes necessary.

Make the best choices you can. That is all anyone can do!

Lizzy

September 23, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Post a Comment