The Quilt  

Posted by Donna

As I pulled into the parking lot at the vet's office I passed a woman standing alone behind a pickup truck with the gate down. Her hair was wet and disheveled and she had on dark sunglasses that weren't necessary. I knew instantly that she was there to have her dog put down...the grief was radiating off of her. We carefully avoided eye contact as I got Aubrey out of the car and took her inside to get her nails clipped. While Aubrey was in the back the woman came into the waiting area and just stood there, unsure of what to do, whether to sit or stand. She kept her dark glasses on. Suddenly the exam room door opens and a large man with a gaunt face asks her to open the outer door. The man and the doctor struggle to lift and carry the body of what is obviously a very large dog, who is wrapped carefully in a lovely old quilt. My breath caught in my throat and instantly my eyes filled with tears. The woman came back into the office and handed her credit card to the doctor, a silent transaction. I wanted to tell her how sorry I was for her loss but I didn't want to intrude.

I wasn't prepared for the juggernaut of sadness those few seconds created, and I can't get the image out of my head. When they brought Aubrey back to me she jumped into my lap and kissed my cheek and I hugged her close to me, my tears dropping onto her head. I miss Bailey so much.

This entry was posted on August 29, 2010 at Sunday, August 29, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

7 comments

That is sad. Putting an animal to sleep is the hardest thing I've ever had to do. It's happened too many times and you never really get over the loss.

August 29, 2010 at 3:03 PM

So difficult and so many tears.
We all miss your Bailey.

I just read down your blog and found some very new information. Good for you in all respects.

August 30, 2010 at 5:41 AM

One of the worst I've ever had to do was the old dog w/the homemade casket... The family had built his casket, the children had decorated the inside w/photos & stories for A Very Good Dog, & of course it was lined w/his favorite blankie.

August 30, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Thanks so much for your encouraging words on my blog. I'll try and heed them. So many emotions are involved when you love animals...their lives are so much shorter than our own, that at some point euthanasia becomes a part of life. I've had to put down dogs, cats and horses - and it never gets easier. It's a tragic part of life and is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do in my life. But, when we love our animals truly, we will set our own feelings aside and do what's best for them and do the kindest thing...whatever that may be.

I've been catching up a little on your blog. Sounds like your life is full of changes - I hope everything works out for the best. Your mountain house sounds like a dream!! But, your little cottage sounds much more convenient. Blessings, Lorie

August 31, 2010 at 12:31 PM

oh Donna, this brought back all the memories of Jordan when you were just sick with worry about Bailey.
Losing a pet is losing a family member. They are irreplacable.
I really feel for that woman, so sad. xo

September 5, 2010 at 7:55 PM

Oh, big, big hugs, dear Donna. Was so sad for you when you learned the news while so far from home. xoxox

September 9, 2010 at 7:56 AM

My heart aches for that woman and every one of us who have had to suffer the pain of losing our dearest companion.

September 11, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Post a Comment