Art Deco  

Posted by Donna

I found these two paintings in an antique shop and just had to have them for my cottage. They are original oils from the 1950s.

















Living at the cottage during the week and living at the house in the mountains on the weekends is a bit crazy-making. When I come back to the cottage on Sunday nights for a while it seems so small, so empty, so impersonal. The house is full of memories, pictures and trinkets and familiar things and feels lived-in and comfortable. After a day or so the cottage feels more like home but then it happens again the following weekend.

I replaced the screen door with a storm door and put a doggy door in it for Aubrey, so now she can go in and out during the day. My next project is the little patio. I'll take before and after pictures, right now it's really a mess and that's after I cut down the 6-foot weeds.

I'm working hard on finding a new job and have a couple of good prospects. Starting a new job is very stressful but I know I will be happier once the initial breaking in period is over.

I can feel myself slowly disengaging emotionally from my original barn and from Missy. I need to figure out my job situation before I make a decision on what to do about the horse situation, but I honestly can't imagine leaving things the way they are now. I can't afford to keep two trainers working with Missy while taking lessons at a different barn, and I can't make any progress just riding her on the weekends. The most important thing is to ensure that both Missy and I are happy and well taken care of, and the hard truth is that probably means we won't be together.

This entry was posted on August 22, 2010 at Sunday, August 22, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 comments

Great pictures. Glad the cottage is coming along and good luck with the job hunting.

I hope in the future you and Missy find the situation that is right for both of you.

August 22, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Love the paintings! Still struggling to put things right after our big end-o-the-summer Home Improvement project (painting Z's room), but I hope to post some photos soon...

August 23, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Those look like great finds. You're going through "a lot" of change right now. Big adjustments need plenty of space to move around in. Go easy on yourself and treat yourself well.

August 24, 2010 at 4:52 PM

The paintings are fabulous! Such tough decisions you're facing, but I know you'll make the right choices for you. Be good to yourself; you deserve it! xoxox

September 9, 2010 at 7:57 AM

Post a Comment