Simple Gifts  

Posted by Donna

The local dog beach is one of my favorite places on earth. The unbridled joy of running free on the sand and in the water is intoxicating for both canines and their owners. The beach is a finite space, there are cliffs behind and on each end, giving urban dogs a rare chance to be off-leash outdoors without man-made barriers. My little girl loves loves LOVES the beach, she is very fast and gives me ample opportunities to practice my high-speed photography skills, which will come in handy for capturing cheetahs soon. She's also not shy and has absolutely no idea that she is a small dog. She's confident but not aggressive, playful, smart and generally the life of the party. I want to be just like her when I grow up.

The light was amazing that day, as the sun lowered in the sky the ocean turned into molten metal, a sea of mercury, and the dogs all became pitch black.

The last picture is of our new family member, Taiko. He's a two year-old Gordon Setter mix, a long-legged gentle soul just coming out of his awkward puppy stage, also a rescue from a local shelter. He lives with my husband at the house in the mountains and Aubrey's with me at the cottage during the week, and we're all together on weekends.  She bosses him around and chases him around and around the big oak tree in their yard, but he's very tolerant and gentle with her. He's very cuddly and affectionate, another very special creature, he's helping to heal the grief of losing Tucker so suddenly.

I haven't done much riding lately but what I have done has been fun and fulfilling. I'm looking forward to better weather and the end of my tenure at Soon To Be Ex-Company at the end of January.

This year has been extremely difficult and extremely wonderful in big dollops. I have to say I wouldn't have it any other way.




This entry was posted on December 31, 2010 at Friday, December 31, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

5 comments

Beautiful photos! Happy New Year!

December 31, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Great pictures of happy dogs. Wishing you and yours a very Happy New Year!

January 1, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Sounds like both are perfect for you. Love the pics.

I think about you often and am glad to hear that you are still riding and that it's working for you. I still can't believe you are going to Africa. I think I'd be jealous expect the thought of leaving my herd makes it justs fine I'll be here. LOL

Hope this year brings the very best for you, my friend!

January 2, 2011 at 11:45 AM

There isn't really much that can top a happy, frolicking dog. Unless, it's a cozy, purring cat. *smile*

So glad to hear you're feeling good about your life adventure. Looking forward to hearing about and seeing images from your upcoming trip.

Much love & many blessings,
Carolynn

January 4, 2011 at 12:34 PM

He's a doll! I love Gordies, most of 'em are SUCH GOOD DOGS...

I wish I'd have had a camera last weekend, when our new Chihuahua rescue-puppy got away from Z & he was chasing him down across the cow pasture (1st camping trip): "Buddy, come back! Buddy, COME BACK!"
(he hasn't learned his name yet)

January 5, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Post a Comment