The Kingdom  

Posted by Donna

The Pillars of Hercules at the Citadel, Amman Jordan

I've been trying to write this post for almost a week now. Last Sunday, as I sat alone in a hotel room 7,000 miles from home, our beautiful Bailey lost his battle with cancer. All week I had seen amazing and wondrous sites, but they are all filtered through the lens of doubt and grief...I hope in time to be able to fully appreciate the experience, but right now I am overwhelmed. I was getting to the point before the trip of wanting to change everything in my life, to start anew, but now I feel the need to hold onto everything, lest I lose something else. I know this will pass. My time in Jordan was the the most inspiring and heartbreaking week of the last decade. I will try to share it with you in the coming weeks. I will always be grateful for the newfound friendships of my travelling companions; all of them immensely intelligent, spirited, successful, compassionate, driven and funny. Shukran my sisters.

This entry was posted on March 13, 2010 at Saturday, March 13, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

7 comments

What an extraordinary week, with both amazing experiences and tragedy, with the loss of Bailey. Despite your understandable sadness, I'm so glad you were with us on this journey. What a gift to get to know you better in such a wondrous place. xoxox

March 13, 2010 at 11:18 AM

What Tara said!!
Donna you were an incredible addition to our unique group. You contributed much despite a large chunk of your psyche being stuck at Bailey's side...!
I am so happy to have met you. I'm glad we lit the candle for Bailey in one of the most sacred places on Earth. My heart goes out to you. xoxoxo

March 13, 2010 at 7:45 PM

I love this description -- you really captured it: intelligent, spirited, successful, compassionate, driven, funny.

I hollered, "Holy Mother of Shwarma" at omething yesterday and my husband just did not get it. WIshed you guys were here with me in Switzerland.

Bailey was such a beautiful boy!

March 14, 2010 at 3:31 AM

We got our lil' cedar box back w/Phoenix's ashes & my son seemed to be comforted by it: the "Rainbow Bridge" poem, the small candle thoughtfully included... So much life & energy reduced to this.
We'll have a memorial service when Zach gets back from his dad's over Spring Break; wishing you love & healing as you do the same.

March 14, 2010 at 5:19 PM

This is beautiful, and I so appreciate your honesty. Thank you for capturing something so raw and real and truthful.

March 15, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Donna, so sorry to hear about Bailey. I know it's hard to lose such a dear creature.

March 21, 2010 at 12:07 PM
Anonymous  

I'm so sorry to hear that Bailey succumbed to his illness. Take solace in the knowledge that you gave him a home filled with love and tenderness and that he is now truly at peace.

March 23, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Post a Comment