We Interrupt this Horse Blog  

Posted by Donna

For the next several posts I'll be blogging about my imminent trip to Jordan. This is the capital city, Amman, my base of operations for the next week. My suitcase and camera bag are packed and I'm as ready as I'll ever be. I've been alternating between thinking I've bitten off way more than I can chew, going so far outside my comfort zone, and thinking I'm all that and a bag of chips for the same reason.

My lesson on Wednesday went fairly well, I was really nervous. Different barn, different saddle, different horse, different trainer, everything was so foreign. We were using one of their covered arenas, the surrounding area was dark and I was riding under lights for the first time. The trainer is an endurance rider and a triathlete, in other words, a crazy person! I liked her, she said I had good position and just needed some reminders on the technical stuff. I haven't ridden in 5 or 6 weeks, I lost count, and the riding I have been doing has been anything but technical. I told her I've been happy just to be on my horse at all. I stuck around after my lesson and met some of the ladies in her group lesson, they all seemed nice and I had to agree that I should fit in well as far as ability goes. Not that it matters, but I'd say I was the second best rider of the four. I'm going to ask for at least one more, maybe two, private lessons before I join the group. We didn't canter during the lesson and I want to get some more time in the saddle before I have to think about traffic. I like the new barn for its wide range of riding opportunities and types of venues, but I don't think I would want to board there, the facilities for the horses are old and small. I've been spoiled by my barn in that regard. But, it would make a lot more sense to board at a barn close to work instead of close to home. There are so many variables in play, I really have no idea how this will all work out, but I do know it will, because I need to ride.

Missy's abcess finally broke early this week and she was able to go out in turnout with her sister and graze a bit. I went down there today to visit and she was in a mood. I realize she's been stuck in her stall for a few weeks, and its rainy and cold, but that's no excuse for bad manners. Maybe I will feel different when I can finally get on her back, but at the moment I'm feeling rather disconnected from her.

I'm going to focus on staying in the moment during the trip, so I don't miss anything or waste the precious short time I have to spend in this exotic place worrying about the future.

Vivo aqui --literally translated from the Spanish "I live here", but more broadly interpreted as "live here - right here - in this moment". Its my new motto.

This entry was posted on February 27, 2010 at Saturday, February 27, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

Heh heh - thanks a lot!
from your friendly neighborhood crazy endurance rider...

March 1, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Ooooh, Interesting! Glad Missy is on the mend. I've given you an award, BTW, come on over and pick it up! ;)

March 1, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Post a Comment