May Days  

Posted by Donna

Since I wasn't able to ride today due to a heavy downpour last night, I took advantage of the freshness of the day and took a few shots at the farm.  I find that if I always keep my camera bag in the car I take more pictures -- sometimes the answer is so simple! 

I've been able to ride Miss more in the last six weeks than any time I can remember, and the progress is obvious.  There is a fine line with her, you have to work her consistently to keep her mentally in check, but you can't work her too hard or she falls apart physically.  It seems three times a week is the magic number. 

Unfortunately someone else will need to pick up the weekday rides as I have finally landed a job.  (Yay!)  In fact, I applied for this same job a year ago and they hired someone else, who just resigned due to "cultural fit" issues.  Hmphf.  They could have saved themselves and me a year of misery, but I will try not to hold it against them.
This will be the largest company I've ever worked for by far, some 40,000 employees worldwide, and that may take some getting used to.  I had another opportunity at a pre-IPO start-up but I felt that there was at least a 50/50 chance that they would be acquired before they went public.  I've been down that road before and decided it was worth it to join the Big Fish Company than risk another Little Fish.  Although I'm sure there will be more redtape that I would like, I will also enjoy the many benefits including restaurant-quality cafeterias, inexpensive on-site gym facilities and many others.  They were voted the #16 company in the US to work for by Fortune in 2010.
For now this is a contractor position, but that is generally how they bring people onboard as getting approval for a full-time regular employee is a long process.  My medical/dental coverage is already through my husband's company so that isn't an issue, and I am technically an employee of the agency that placed me, so I will have taxes withheld and won't have to deal with making estimated payments and paying the additional self-employment taxes.

Most importantly, my new boss is the antithesis of my last one.  I haven't work for a man in a long time but honestly I think it will be easier.  I've asked around and everyone has said I couldn't ask for a better advocate or manager, and from the few times I've met with him I am hopeful.  He's very easy to talk to (even in an interview), funny, hands-off but supportive and generally a very normal person who seems to genuinely care about his team.

I've been staying at the house in the mountains but now that I have to travel for work every day again I am going back to my little cottage to stay during the week.  I've cleared out the weeds and debris from the winter in my garden and am looking forward to making it a colorful oasis once again. 

This entry was posted on May 15, 2011 at Sunday, May 15, 2011 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

Congrats on the new job; glad to see new posting from you...
I am tentatively planning to be in the N CA area for the Tevis ride 7/16 if all goes according to plan.

May 16, 2011 at 8:59 AM

Congratulations on all counts! Love the bird photo. *smile*

May 19, 2011 at 7:52 AM

Post a Comment