Crisis Management  

Posted by Donna

Last night I came back to the cottage as usual and let Aubrey outside. I was busy doing whatever and after a little while I thought to go outside and check on her, I hadn't heard her or seen her for maybe 15 minutes and she wasn't coming when I called her. I was shocked to see her body sticking out from under the fence in her dog run, seems my silly little dog was chasing some critter and tried to fit through a drainage hole embedded in cement. Of course I didn't know that at the time and I thought I could just pull her free. I tried, the neighbor tried and finally I decided it was time to call 911. The nice policeman tried and then he called the fire department. I was so afraid they were going to break her neck or she was going to suffocate! She was very brave. Me, not so much. More than an hour and 4 professionals later, they finally freed her, but I was shocked again to see a filthy, rusty tin can lodged tightly around her neck. Thankfully it had not cut her, although I'm sure her neck will be sore for a while. It was exactly like one of those stories you see on the news, happy ending and all. Today I stayed home from work, bathed her (again) and fixed the fence, putting up sheet metal over that hole and another one I found. At the time I felt a little strange calling 911 but both the police and fire departments were very concerned and took it seriously.

This is the hole her head was stuck in, after a fence board was removed and some of the concrete was chipped away, it's about 4 inches across.








This is the rusty old coffee can that someone was using as a drainage pipe, the reason she couldn't get her head back out of the hole.









Here you can see where the can was wedged around her neck, a fireman cut it off with tin snips.










She was filthy from all the goop they put on her to try to help her get free, after two baths the back of her head is still greasy.

This entry was posted on October 11, 2010 at Monday, October 11, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

6 comments

Poor little noodle. I'm so glad you called 911 and got some help. So glad she got out unharmed. I'm sure she felt better once she knew there were people there trying to help her. Big squeeze for her from us over here!

October 12, 2010 at 7:40 AM

Well that's just awful, but I'm glad it had a happy ending.

October 12, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Dawn dishwashing soap - the best degreasing agent there is!

Poor baby! I'm glad she is none the worse for wear... (know what this reminded me of? the funny story about the guy who got 'nabbed' by his kitten, conked his head under the sink, & awoke surrounded by paramedics. I must have been emailed that incident a dozen times or more...)

October 13, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Found the link - I know you could use a laugh after this trauma!

http://www.snopes.com/critters/farce/hindlick.asp

October 13, 2010 at 11:13 AM

What a frightening ordeal. Glad Aubrey is alright.

October 24, 2010 at 4:50 PM

911? Why not! Makes sense to me. Glad they could get it figured out.

October 25, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Post a Comment