Bookends  

Posted by Donna

I've been holding out on you, trying to get a decent picture of this little guy, but so far this is the best I could do. Meet Independencion, Indy for short, born on the 4th of July. He's a Thoroughbred Andalusion cross and is the friendlist colt I've ever met. This is part of the problem, he won't get far enough away from the camera to get a good perspective. Also, I keep forgetting to bring my good camera to the barn; my point and shoot digital just doesn't satisfy me anymore.

The picture above was taken last weekend, this one was taken yesterday, he is growing like a weed! You can see how high his butt is here, and how sweet his tiny little feet are. His owners have big plans for him to be the next world champion hunter/jumper, but today he thwarted their every attempt to get a halter on.



This is Aura on his 27th birthday, also taken yesterday. A fullbred Arabian, he was quite the dressage competitor in his day, and now enjoys his retirement immensely.




There's a lot of wisdom and kindness in these eyes, don't you think? I love that this barn specializes in both babies and retired horses, it gives me a real way to see the full life cycle of these amazing creatures.

This entry was posted on August 8, 2010 at Sunday, August 08, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

The baby is adorable. I love the eyes and expressions on the retiree. He looks wise and sweet.

August 8, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Gorgeous. Indy is a sweetheart. I love his bubble butt sticking up in the air on top of those long legs. *grin*

I like that your barn doesn't 'discard' the horses after they reach a certain age, but rewards their hard work with loving kindness and a peaceful retirement.

Thanks for sharing!

August 9, 2010 at 8:48 AM

Post a Comment