Rhinos & Winged Wonders  

Posted by Donna

I'm still unemployed but have been averaging about one interview a week, a fact I am not taking for granted. So far there is only one job that I actually want, but I think I have a very good chance of getting that one, it's just an incredibly long and frustrating process, both for the applicants and the companies. The severance money is holding out fine but at times I find myself terribly depressed and unable to enjoy the time off. 

I have been able to ride more in the last couple of weeks but without my weekly lesson I find I am not making any progress, another frustration. 

At least there are plenty more Africa photos to share with you!

A foursome of white rhinos consisted of two females and their calves at a watering hole, who were curious enough to come within 10 to 15 feet of the vehicle.  They have poor eyesight but very good hearing and wanted to check us out, their cupped ears rotating like satellite dishes on the tops of their heads. 

White rhinos have a large hump on their back while their cousins the black rhino do not, but both animals are actually gray. Their coloring has more to do with what kind of mud they have been rolling in! Also, the Dutch settlers differentiated the two species by the shapes of their mouths, the flat shovel-like mouth of the white rhino evolved to help them pick up food on the ground. The Dutch word for wide is "wije", which was mistranslated as "white".

These calves are about a year old; they will stay with their mothers until they are weaned at about two years of age. Doesn't it look like a little tank?

I'm quite sure this isn't a Monarch butterfly, more likely a smaller African cousin.

Now I know where the idea for the Stealth Bomber came from!

This stunning moth sports twin heads of either snakes or birds of prey on its wings.

(Click to enlarge the photos)

This entry was posted on April 24, 2011 at Sunday, April 24, 2011 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

Beautiful! I love the green Luna moth (?) and the one with the snakes. Nature is so cool, isn't it?

Good luck with your job search. I'm sure you'll find something very soon that fits you like a T.

April 24, 2011 at 6:49 PM

MOAR beautiful photos!

& don't feel bad, I seem to be backsliding too... These past two rides in heat & humidity have really kicked my butt; I seem to have lost my heat tolerance somewhere along the way??

(reminder to self to forward great photo taken by friend of Boy & His Mule - he was feeling the heat too but the mule did great!)

April 29, 2011 at 11:12 AM

I often feel out of sorts when I come back from a trip.
good luck on the job, and hang in there.
love the photos!
- The Equestrian Vagabond

May 9, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Post a Comment