Forever Young  

Posted by Donna

Still reeling from the loss of Bailey in March, we lost Tucker Friday afternoon. We knew he was 11, we knew he was old dog, but he didn't know it, and he was a puppy to the end. He never got gray, or crippled, or stopped jumping for joy or playing ball with the intensity of an Olympic athlete. In fact he played ball with abandon on Thursday evening, as it should be. He was gone within 8 hours of showing any signs of distress, so he didn't suffer. For that we are grateful, but it was so fast, so shocking, so unbelievable...I still can't wrap my head around it. He passed at the vet's office and we went there to say goodbye on Saturday morning. I didn't get the chance to do that with Bailey and I felt it was important to see him and stroke his beautiful red coat one more time. Some might think that strange or morbid, but, as difficult as it was, it was helpful. And it was all we had.

We would walk along the sidewalk above the beach with them, Bailey on D's left and Tucker between us on my left, a formidable phalanx of four. Countless people stopped to comment on their good manners and their beauty and to ask if they could pet them. Countless more said nothing but smiled at the sight of them, and we always joked we should charge $1 per smile. Tucker's favorite place on earth was the dog park across the street from the beach. We never brought a ball, we would just let him loose and he would always find one, that's how I think of him, like in this picture, resting on a bench at the dog park with a found ball, just waiting for someone to throw it for him. He's worn paths through the trees on either side of the driveway, the ball-throwing routes across the property. He was the definition of Golden Retriever -- sweet, smart, playful, polite, loyal, athletic. He was loved beyond measure and radiated happy. Right up to the end.

This entry was posted on November 14, 2010 at Sunday, November 14, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

6 comments

Ohmigosh honey, I am so sorry!

It's never easy to lose one, & especially not that suddenly...

November 16, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Tucker looks like he was a happy pup all the time. And he was much loved by his family and countless others. Even though he will be missed you will always have wonderful happy memories of him. So sorry for your loss I know how hard it is to lose one of our best friends.

November 16, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Oh, I'm so sorry! My heart breaks for you. I don't think it's strange that you would want to see him one last time. Not at all. He was one gorgeous fellow, happy and loved to the end. No living being could ask for anything more than that.

Much love to you,
Carolynn

November 17, 2010 at 4:02 PM

Eleven doesn't seem old, although I know it is for a big dog. What a shock for you. I'm still prone to tears when I think of our Diva, who made it to fourteen. It's never enough time.

November 18, 2010 at 8:26 PM

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. When I lost my first boxer, we shortly after, lost our old rotty too. I think she so missed her friend she decided to join her. Tough on us humans for sure.

November 21, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Oh Donna. How sorry I am for your loss. What a beautiful dog.

I have no words. If you were here I would hug you. So very sorry indeed.

xoxoxo

December 14, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Post a Comment